Silver Linings and the Design Process

Sometimes the difference between a disaster and a blessing is all in how you react. When faced with an unexpected outcome you can either fall prostrate and wailing in grief, or you can sit back and recooperate, and hit the problem from a refreshed perspective.

It’s like the saying goes: “Never model a tropical copepod when an arctic one will do.”

… You’ve never heard of it? Maybe it’s a regional thing.

copie5 2 copie2 2

Let me explain. When an artist or technician embarks on the journey of creating a model, they usually refer to a folder or scrapbook of reference material. This collection of images helps define proportions, feature/detail variations, behaviour and the overarching concept of ‘copepod-ness’ that needs to be understood by the viewer.

Copepod

Unbeknownst to the production team, the rather varied and exciting photos of copepods we gathered included some tropical species. This became especially apparent when we presented a sculpted copepod model to one of our Marine Biologist consultants, Carin Ashjian. We found out I had modelled the wrong beastie.

RE-RESEARCH!

Luckily, Carin recommended some images of the correct arctic species of copepod; the vanilla, parka-wearing cousin of the original model.

together2-en_266733

Now that the copepod model parameters had been reset and I knew where I stood, I went on a demolition and salvage mission.

headWIP1

Step one: Analysis. The antennae were unsalvageable. Deleted and scheduled for remodel.

Head ‘horn’ protrusions deleted. Head resculpted to fit new dimensions.

Eye resized, organs resized.

bodyWIP2

Step two: Scale and move body sections on gross scale before getting onto individual features.

segmentWIP3

Step three: Separate the body segments (I had modelled them together originally) and resize/reposition/re-sculpt the vertices, edges, and faces.

bodyWIP5

Step four: Now the tricky part. With all the body segments in place, I needed to remodel the overlapping edges without them intersecting. This meant working systematically from largest segment to smallest segment, and tweaking all the edges and vertices until the segments looked natural and flush.

bodyrevWIP4

bodysegmentsWIP6 bodyrevWIP7

This screenshot was taken prior to re-sculpting the last segment into a more rounded, respectable copepod bottom.

Also, that floating blob is an egg sac. Well, was an egg sac. I deleted it.

bodygutsWIP8

Here you can see the close-to-finished model, with re-sculpted segments, resized legs and tail, and a new oil sac in his body cavity!

COPECOOLWIP9

Beautiful new antennae, one segment copied and resized. Rinse and repeat.

The edge vertices of this body-half were straightened into a line, then the body was mirrored to create a whole copepod!

wheecope10 wheee

Front view looking good.

INTERNALORGANSAGAIN INTERNALORGANS

Closer look at the internal organs and oil sac.

COPEPODWHEE

FINISHFORNOW

Polished and merged edge vertices, with some other minor size adjustments, ready for review!

Keep a cyclopean eye out for some rendered stills soon. I’m done with modelling for a while, and getting back into animating whales. Roger has given me a list of exciting shots to work on. Odds are you’ll get to see those soon too!

— Hannah Foss (Project Lead Animator)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s